Who runs your business? No, stop. What was your FIRST answer to that question? Is it you? Are you a softy or are you a tough boss? Al Getler, of algetler.com, shares his five tips:
1. Set an expectation: You can’t be tough after the fact. Set your expectations and be sure the recipient understands them.
2. Correct as you go; don’t wait: If you see someone off course, tell him or her right away.
3. Listen: Hear the reasons why a direct report is not meeting the expectations you set.
4. Adjust: Either adjust the performance or behavior or adjust your expectations.
5. Reward success and discipline failure.
Be careful though, Getler says that without listening, you can just be a jerk.